Classes > Birch Class
- Teacher: Mrs Cornwell
- Teaching Assistant: Mrs Newson
- Birch Class is a Year 1 class (Key Stage 1).
- Please click on the link below to view the Birch class welcome letter:
Welcome letter September 2016
- The curriculum that children in Birch class are following this term:
History: Our topic for this term will be castles and this will culminate with a visit to Framlingham Castle at the end of September. We will have an in depth look at castles, the jobs done by the people who lived in a castle, castle structure, key features and where castles where sited.
Art: Learning to draw portraits.
Science: Will cover seasonal change over the whole year and then every day materials and their uses. This will include topics such as recycling, discovering what items are made with, comparing the suitability of materials.
Maths: We will begin by looking at numbers, what numbers mean and place value. This will include adding and subtracting. Then we will move on to shape, measuring using different units and learn how we tell the time to the hour, half hour and quarters.
Literacy: During the first few weeks we will concentrate on handwriting and sentence formation. This will include thinking about full stops, capital letters and forming our letters properly. We will learn about fiction and non-fiction and look at letter writing, reports and story writing.
ICT: This year we are using a new format which covers grouping and sorting, pictograms and online safety.
R.E: This term we will learn about Judaism and believing.
- To read more detailed information about the new national curriculum please click on the following link:
A guide for parents: Year One (pdf)
- If you require any further information about the curriculum in Birch Class, please speak to the class teacher, Miss Cornwell.